Categories

Top 50 tags

Antique, Army, Art, Austria, Aviation, badge, bronze, Bulgaria, Bulgarian, coin, cover, cross, Deco, Diamond, ducat, German, Germany, Gold, Imperial, Italy, King, Macedonia, medal, Merit, Military, NAVY, NAZI, NICE, NOC, Olympic, order, photo, Poland, postcard, RARE, Red, ring, Romania, Royal, RRR, Russia, Russian, Serbia, SILVER, Turkey, USSR, Victorian, War, WWI, WWII

Sponsered Ads



Home > Jewelry > Victorian jewelry

19c Russian Carl Bolin DIAMOND swallow brooch

Item ID:4592

* click here for fullsize view

Item description:

Important early Carl Bolin (father) circa 1840 - 1850 St. Petersburg diamond swallow pin in original brown velvet retailer's case of issue. The pin of the brooch is 18 karat yellow gold and the swallow is silver fully paved with a total of 72 small diamonds and a small ruby eye. This fantastic early 19th century Victorian style hirondelle / swallow bird holds a nice small drop pearl in its beak and has an elegant red enamel collar under its neck. The pin / brooch is 93mm long and the swallow itself is 25mm x 20mm in size. The weight of the whole pin is approximately 6.5 grams. It is very important to note that this is an early Karl / Carl Bolin (father) piece from around 1850. At that time he worked only in St. Petersburg for the Imperial Palace and such early Bolin pieces are seldomly seen at major auctions. The pin is marked with 18 karat gold '72' St. Petersburg assay mark as well as with workmaster’s initials. The initials and mark are slightly faint towards the top line and the 2nd letter appears to be a 'T' and the 1st one is either a Cyrillic 'P' or similar. The photos of the hallmarks are taken upside down for a better clarity and contrast. Please, read opaque right to left. The inside of the velvet case lid is stamped with Imperial Russian Coat of Arms / Crest and with text – “C.E. Bolin – Joaillier de la Cour – S. Petersbourg”. The case measures 115mm long by 42mm wide and is about 25mm thick. Everything about this piece is in an absolutely superb and intact condition. Such a early Carl Bolin piece are normally considered by far rarer than a Faberge and are usually parts of important museum collections. LIFETIME GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC IMPERIAL RUSSIAN CARL BOLIN PIECE!!! The "Bolin" firm is of special significance in the history of Russia’s national jeweller's art as the oldest enterprise of the Russian Empire. Absolutely scarce Imperial Russian early 19th Century antique jewelry / jewellery masterpiece and one of the important antique jewels of the Carl Bolin firm. A short history as provided by the Bolin firm in Stockholm gives the following important information: “In Stockholm, at the Bolin mansion at Wollmar Yxkyll Street, the widow of captain Bolin resided along with the remaining eleven children. Of the family fortune nothing remained. One of the sons, Carl Edvard, was a trained bookkeeper, who was now lacking the means to start his own business. To support himself he moved to St Petersburg in Russia, at that time quite a common move for young people who could not find work in Sweden. In the growing city of St Petersburg the handsome Carl Edvard Bolin met a pretty young woman, Ernestina Catherine Roempler. She was the daughter of an immigrated German jeweller, whose firm had been established in St Petersburg in 1791, and who became appointed jeweller to the Russian court. Some year before Carl Edvard met the jeweller's daughter, her father had died, but his company was still in the hands of the Roempler family. Carl Edvard became a partner right away, taking care of the business, despite the fact that he completely lacked experience in the jewellery trade. He was eager, had vision and charm - and the company flourished under his supervision. He brought his younger brother Henrik Conrad over to St Petersburg, giving him work in the company. Soon Carl Edvard Bolin through his own competence, became appointed Jeweller the Russian Tsar. C E Bolin became the most distinguished jewellery firm in St Petersburg, specializing in the large, magnificent jewels appreciated by the Russian court, and the richest of the Russian families. Gem stones of the highest quality, and the most exquisite craftsmanship characterized the Bolin jewellery. The younger brother, Henrik Conrad, enjoyed the jewellery trade. The brothers decided to expand, and in 1850 Henrik Conrad moved to Moscow, to form an independent branch with an Englishman. The new Bolin company specialized in silverware, manufactured in their own workshops in Moscow. They also offered elegant jewellery, often made by the firm of his brother's in St Petersburg. The Moscow branch also prospered. When Henrik Conrad died, the company was passed on to his son Wilhelm, who - according to Russian customs - had the byname "son of Henrik's". In Russian this is Andrejevich, so the name of the company became W. A. Bolin. A name that hasn't changed since. Wilhelm Andrejevich was the first of the Bolin family who to be qualified as a jeweller from the start. Had had great talents for the trade, and an ardent interest, making his company renowned and famous outside Russia. Wilhelm Andrejevich became appointed to the Tsar as well. In 1912 he founded a summer shop in Bad Homburg near Wiesbaden, in Germany, where the Tsar family resided in the summertime, bringing along their entire court. This way they did not miss the opportunity to buy jewels and silver during the summer holidays! Due to the first World war in 1914 the citizens of the participating countries were forbidden to travel abroad. Since Wilhelm Andrejevich was a Swedish, as well as a Russian citizen, he could - using his Swedish passport - bring over most of the goods from the Bad Homburg shop in Germany over to the safer Sweden. He placed the jewellery and silver in the vault of Stockholm's Enskilda Bank, in the Old Town of Stockholm, and met with the manager, K.A. Wallenberg, who suggested that W.A. Bolin should open a shop in their new building at Kungstrдdgеrdsgatan. This eventually happened , after some resistance from Wilhelm Andrejevich, who thought he was occupied enough handling his Russian firm. He planned to continue developing in Moscow as soon as the war was over. The luxurious jewellery salon in Kungstrдdgеrdsgatan was inaugurated in 1916 by king Gustav V, and was a success from the start. The year after, in 1917, the Russian revolution started. Every kopeck of Wilhelm Andrejevich's fortune, including all his real estate, jewellery and silverware was confiscated, never to be reclaimed. W.A. Bolin was extremely lucky to have a shop in Stockholm. Thereby the firm could survive "in the family", which it has been ever since its first Russian days - founded by the appointed jeweller Roempler - for over 200 years. Now it's in the hands of the sixth generation: appointed jeweller Christian Bolin and his sister Anita Bolin.” (text courtesy of W.A.Bolin)

Price:

$14800.00 / €10571.40

Seller:

Vicmart

Hits:

84590 time(s)

Contact Us for Payment Instructions


IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL BUYERS: In case that more than one Buyer has paid for same item, first Buyer's payment to receive confirmation from CCNow will receive the item. Other Buyer's payments will be cancelled from the CCNow system and their Credit Cards will NOT be charged !!!

Мore items from 'Victorian jewelry' category

Previous Button
Next Button

Related items


Statistics

Current number of items available:
1222

For a Total of: $1395300.78

Last updated:
Mar 24, 2018, 5:56 pm

USD to EUR exchange rate 1.45
Last updated:
Nov 07, 2007, 9:01 am